Saturday, January 14, 2017

REVIEW: Retreat by Jay Crownover


Title: Retreat (Getaway Series #1) 
Author: Jay Crownover 
Synopsis: Every once in a while, you need to get away from it all. I was a woman on the edge, shaken and shattered after a breakup that felt like it tore my entire world apart. My best friend, sick of watching me drown in misery and melancholy, harassed me until I agreed to go with her on a week-long wilderness retreat. She promised days spent bonding and getting in touch with our inner bad-asses. It was supposed to be all about the two of us roughing it and making do with the bare minimum. She assured me we were going to be pushed to our limits in ways that were unimaginable. Neither one of us could have ever guessed just how right she was. Nowhere in the glossy brochure did it say anything about the fact I was going to have to battle the insufferable but deliciously rugged and sexy trail guide instead of the elements. The brochure also forgot to mention the part that warned when you left civilization behind, there was no place to pack your inhibitions and fears. I was told that I would be facing a week where the only thing I should expect was the unexpected. However, no one mentioned that I was going to have to fight for my life…and my heart as soon as I ventured into the unknown. I was a pro at hiding from my feelings but when it came time to face a real threat, one that could change everything, I learned I was more of a no surrender, no retreat kind of girl. Retreat is a standalone novel, the first in the Getaway series which centers on the hardheaded and brokenhearted Warner brothers and the women that dare to love them. These boys are very good at putting the wild in wilderness.

Amazon US- Amazon UK









Firstly, I want to thank Jay Crownover because she kindly gave me an ecopy of the book and it has been the best surprise Christmas gift ever!

Retreat came as a complete surprise and since Jay Crownover is one of my top authors and I will read anything with her name on it, I couldn´t pass this chance.  There I was thinking I would have to wait till 2017 for the next release and she was sneakily writing a new brand series.

Retreat has nothing similar in the plot and character department from Crownover´s previous books. This new series have a thriller/mystery background that will have you glued to the pages till the wee hours of the night. I foolishly started it after dinner and then there was no stopping till I finished it.
As always, Crownover´s writing never ceases to amaze me. Her detailed use of words to put into paper such deep feelings absolutely floors me. Her words maintain the pace of the novel through the whole reading experience. Since this book was told from only the female POV it gave the story an extra hint of mystery because you don´t get the whole picture just the frame. In the character department, she has managed to create a really different background for both Leo and Cyrus but the clash of their worlds lit up the whole forest on fire. I adore Crownover´s characters since they always have a something in them that makes me go utterly crazy over knowing their story. However, I couldn´t feel the hotness for Cyrus as it has happened to me with her previous male characters. I know for a fact that is because of how Cyrus is portayed as a bit older than what I am used. At 24 I am still not into ruggedly handsome guys, but I will eventually get there!

The way she introduces the future stories to come in the series makes me antsy to read the following books because she kind of ends the book in cliffhanger for the next set of characters and I cannot wait!!

An excellent start to 2017 with a must read! It is going to be hard to wait for Shelter, the next awaited book in this series.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...